You don’t have to live in the country to live in a farmhouse-style home. This traditional style creates a feeling of warmth wherever you are. Farmhouse style houses always make you feel right at home when you return to them after a long day at work. Whether you’ve already decided on a farmhouse style home or are still considering it as one of several options, these ideas offer a little inspiration for designing a home.
- A wrap-around porch can make any home feel warm and cozy. This is a common feature on farmhouse style homes, and it’s an easy one to work into most building plans. A large porch is visually pleasing, and it’s also functional — it gives you a place to sit and read, eat with family, and display flower baskets.
- Traditional American farmhouses are often lit with classic lanterns. You can find lantern-style light fixtures that create this look in your modern farmhouse style home.
- Cotton is the fabric most often used in farmhouses. Choose cotton curtains, throw rugs and even cotton-covered furniture to enhance the architectural style of your home.
- Farmhouses are always full of bright light. Ensure that yours has plenty of light by building large picture windows or even vast bay windows into your home design.
- Your house looks even nicer when sunlight bounces off of real wood. Both treated and natural, untreated wood can be used in a farmhouse style home. Think wooden window frames, plenty of natural wooden furniture, and beautiful hardwood floors.
At Gelotte Hommas Architecture, we believe that designing a home is a true work of art and architecture. Give us a call when you’re ready to discuss your options; we’d love to help design the farmhouse style home of your dreams.